History of Stow Acres Country Club
Stow Acres Country Club's beautiful site is distinguished by two championship 18-hole golf courses, the North and South course, anchored by an antique Victorian Clubhouse. The two courses were designed by noted architect Geoffrey Cornish.
The South Golf Course
In February 1926, the parcel of land was purchased by Robert H. Hawkins. He built 9 holes of golf and Mapledale Country Club became one of the first black owned and operated golf courses. They were unable to play at other courses due to the unfortunate, yet inherent, segregation of that period of American history. That very year in September of 1926, Stow Acres known as Mapledale at that time, was the 1st course that hosted the "National Black Men's Championship". Mr. Hawkins and Mapledale would host the championship 3 times after the Championship returned in 1927 and 1928.
The North Golf Course
Our North Course was ranked as one of "America's 50 Best Public Courses" by Golf Digest. This course has also hosted the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship in 1995 (which is only the second time a course has in New England). For many years, Stow Acres has hosted the Monday Qualifier for the PGA Deutsche Bank Championship held at the Tournament Players Club, Boston.
There is a great measure of pride in Stow Acres historical and significant past. We are equally positive about the course very important position in the history of the great game of golf in New England and beyond. May there always be people who come to enjoy Stow Acres beauty - and its challenges - for another 100-years.